Stefan Ramaekers is affiliated to the Lab as assistant professor. He studied Educational Sciences and Philosophy at KULeuven. His research can be situated in the broad field of philosophy of education and educational theory. Recently he has focused on investigating the changing discourses of the parent-child relation and on the pedagogical significance of parenting support – in cooperation with Judith Suissa from the Institute of education of the University of London. Further research interests are the social/societal role of the educator and forms of ‘scepticism’ in educational practices and research. His main philosophical sources of inspiration are the works by amongst others Friedrich Nietzsche, Ludwig Wittgenstein en Stanley Cavell. He has published in several international journals and collections.
He is Program Chair of the next conference of INPE (International Network of Philosophers of Education; 18-23 August 2014, University of Calabria, Cosenza, Italy).
Professional memberships include:
- Member of The Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain (http://www.philosophy-of-education.org/)
- Member of The International Network of Philosophers of Education (http://www.ucm.es/info/inpe/)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Philosophy of education (http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0309-8249)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Ethics and Education (http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17449642.asp)
- Regional Editor for Power and Education (http://www.wwwords.co.uk/power/)
- Regional Editor for the International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education (http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/tqse)
Office: PI 03.08
Tel.: +32 16 32 62 18
For a full list see Lirias.
- Ramaekers, S., & Suissa, J. (2012) What all parents need to know? Exploring the hidden normativity of the language of developmental psychology in parenting. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 46, 352-369.
- Ramaekers, S., & Suissa, J. (2011). Parents as ‘educators’; Languages of education, pedagogy and ‘parenting’. Ethics and Education, 6 (2), 197-212.
- Ramaekers, S. (2010). Multicultural education: embeddedness, voice and change. Ethics and Education, 5 (1), 53-64.
- Ramaekers, S. (2009). Moeten ouders de opvoeders van hun kinderen zijn?. Alert voor Sociaal Werk en Politiek, 4.
- Ramaekers, S., & Smeyers, P. (2008). Child-rearing: Passivity and being able to go on Wittgenstein on shared practices and seeing aspects. Educational philosophy and theory, 40 (5), 638-651.
- Ramaekers, S. (2006). No harm done: The implications for educational research of the rejection of truth. Journal of philosophy of education, 40 (2), 241-257.
- Ramaekers, S. (2005). Educational support, empowerment, and its risks: the correct voice of support?. Educational theory, 55 (2), 151-163.
- Ramaekers, S. (2002). Postmodernism: a sceptical challenge in educational theory. Journal of philosophy of education, 36 (4), 629-651.
- Ramaekers, S., & Suissa, J. (2012). The claims of parenting: Reasons, responsibility and society. Dordrecht: Springer.